Re: Testsuite for avr-as

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 08:06:34AM -0500, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> > Ignore site.exp, it's just there to confuse you.  No magic. Copy
> > the .exp:s I quoted and just s/mmix/avr/.  All framework set, no
> > need to copy anything else; go write the actual tests.
>
> Maybe not magic, but that was truly the map through the minefield.

Now, really.  I don't see how it could be much simpler, save
for not writing any files at all.

> After rebuilding binutils, to detect the new testsuite directory, we
> have:
>
> Running /usr/local/src/binutils-041119/gas/testsuite/gas/arm/arm.exp ...
> Running /usr/local/src/binutils-041119/gas/testsuite/gas/avr/avr.exp ...
> Running /usr/local/src/binutils-041119/gas/testsuite/gas/cfi/cfi.exp ...

Do I understand correctly that you have tests in
gas/testsuite/gas/avr but that they aren't run?

Doing "make check 'RUNTESTFLAGS=-v -v'" should give you more
info, but I think that's mentioned in the dejagnu manual, so you
should already be aware of that step...

This is a good time to read all manuals and have a good look at
the source code.  Lots of info is in the installed dejagnu, at
/usr or /usr/local share/dejagnu

> That leaves two next steps:   (Jump in with both feet? :-)

How else do you expect to swim?  Really.

> a) Figure out how to specify the assembler path, so we can regression
>    test a newly built one. (Doesn't seem to be an option in the *.d
>    head)

No, you don't have to do this, the framework does it for you.
What I said should be all that's needed.  Did you change all
mmix-* to avr-*?

> b) Figure out why the test run gobbles up 250 ptys, then resumes after a
> 2 minute wait:
>
> Running /usr/local/src/binutils-041119/gas/testsuite/gas/all/gas.exp ...
> ERROR: Can't run gas/all/comment.s: The system has no more ptys.  Ask
> your system administrator to create more.
> ERROR: timeout

I have no idea.  Using an old tcl or expect version?

Usually people build in a directory other than where the source
is.  Maybe you don't do that and there are issues with running
the testsuite in the source directory.

brgds, H-P