This is the mail archive of the ecos-bugs@sourceware.org mailing list for the eCos project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

[Bug 1001522] Array index out of bounds in tftp_server.c


Please do not reply to this email. Use the web interface provided at:
http://bugs.ecos.sourceware.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1001522

--- Comment #7 from Jonathan Larmour <jifl@ecoscentric.com> 2012-03-11 03:56:15 GMT ---
(In reply to comment #6)
> > > Wouldn't that leak sockets if more than one is open?  The loop would
> > > set all of them to 0 [which is also a bug, see below], but it only
> > > remembers the last one for closing later.
> > 
> > Oh true. Yes you have to close them all _except_ the one that
> > matched select.
> 
> Then you can have parallel operations only when requests are coming in
> simultaneously on different protocols.

Well, my idea was (theoretically) that you could still open a new socket while
still using the previous one to talk to the remote host. But anyway, we happily
seem to have moved onto getting rid of this closing sockets malarkey.

> > Or we make a new socket to use just to send the error.
> 
> That would work, and the overhead is only there when the error
> condition happens.
> 
> It seems to me it would be simpler to check the opcode and send the
> error resonse before closing the sockets.  It's simple and keeps the
> parallelism, but it doesn't fix the port-unreachable problem (if it is
> indeed a problem in the real world).

It's a small window, but no less present. That's arguably the worst sort of
failure - stuff that works 99% of the time, but inexplicably not the other 1%.

> > A proper solution would involve a master thread, and a number of
> > child threads.
> 
> That's the first solution that occured to me, but it's a lot of
> rework.  I don't use the tftp support and don't use filesystem
> support, so it would be pretty far down my list of things to do (to be
> honest, it would probably never make it to the top).

Indeed.

> > But maybe a good enough solution which isn't too far from current is
> > to make the socket non-blocking, and just get threads to loop back
> > to the select if they wake up and there's no data after all
> > (recvfrom() returns -1 with errno set to EWOULDBLOCK).
> 
> That's probably the easiest way to fix the port-unreachable problem,
> but it does have the overhead of waking all the threads for every
> packet.

I think that's a small price to pay. Most likely the number of threads would be
very small anyway.

> Another solution that occurred to me is to have a set of threads for
> each socket (IOW for each protocol).  Leave the sockets blocking and
> keep them open the whole time.  All the threads make blocking read
> calls, and only one wakes up for each packet.  It's all nice and
> simple, but you need more thread instances _if_ ipv6 is enabled.

That's not too bad. Although the code may get messy when still retaining the
non-multi-threaded case. But it this was implemented, it wouldn't be a huge
deal to insist in CDL that the number of threads is an even number if ipv6 is
enabled (in the multi-threaded case i.e. >1 ). Or even have the user set the
number of ipv4 threads and ipv6 threads separately.

I think I would prefer the non-blocking socket and blocking select() option
though as IMO the overall penalty for waking multiple threads unnecessarily
occasionally is much less than the overall penalty of having extra threads
around unused.

> Having a single thread doing the select()/read() and passing the
> incoming packets to a pool of worker threads would be a bit more
> elegent, but it's also a bit more complicated, and you pay that extra
> overhead even when you only have one protocol enabled.

Indeed. Let's not go that route.

Jifl

-- 
Configure bugmail: http://bugs.ecos.sourceware.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]