Re: flash driver interface improvement

> I am currently dealing with a flash chip that has
> one sector of size 16kB, then two sectors of size
> 8kB each, then one sector of size 480kB(!). I think
> a well-defined interface should provide support for
> arbitrary sector layouts.

this could be described by the new fields:

num_bootsects:3
bootsects_size[2] = {16,8,8} (the low level driver would provide the pointer
to this array which it fills)
num_sectors = 1
sect_size = 480
while old block_size = 0.

> What do you mean by 'no need for callbacks'?
> My proposed solution does not use any callbacks,
> just a query function for the client to call to
> learn about the properties of a particular sector.

By no callbacks I meant no function just data because code could be device independent.

I think what I describe is not generic enough iff there are flash components with
a layout like this for instance (sect sizes in order)
8,8,16,512,8,8,16,512,64,1024, and so on without a clear bootblocks/large blocks pattern.
even this way the whole flash could be described as all bootblocks with various sizes but wasting
space in the array.However I don't think manufacturers would do such a thing.Maybe if Microsoft
were in the electronics business :)