Re: Synth Link problem on Debian, gcc 2.95.4

    Jifl> Andrew Lunn wrote:
    >> Hi Folks
    >>
    >> I've a linker problem with eCos trunk, on Debian:
    >>
    Jifl> [snip]
    >> /usr/bin/ld: warning: no memory region specified for section
    >> `.rel.ecos.table._Net_inits.data.0x88000001domain_routecyg_net_add_domain'

    Jifl> I think it was Bart (CC'd) who noticed this not very long
    Jifl> ago. We decided it was a toolchain bug, and I'm pretty sure
    Jifl> we marked this down to go in the release notes as a known
    Jifl> issue. The warning is harmless.

    Jifl> We might be able to put in an entry in the linker script
    Jifl> anyway to silence it, but since the section is bogus anyway,
    Jifl> documenting it may well be sufficient.

Confirmed. No .rel.ecos.table section should be being generated,
instead the section should be .data.ecos.table. The macro which
generates this table entry occurs several times in the source code,
and the other occurrences do not somehow generate a .rel.ecos.table
section. The warning does not occur for any other targets, and none of
the other linker scripts support .rel.ecos.table.

Most importantly, installing native binutils 2.13.1 makes the warning
go away.

Hence I am fairly confident that this is a bug in binutils 2.11.93 or
thereabouts, although I have not tried tracking down a specific point
of failure. I don't want to change eCos code to work around a binutils
problem that has already gone away, just as we didn't change eCos code
when gcc's handling of alias attributes was broken.

Bart