Porting question

Hello,

i started porting the eCOS HAL for the Hitachi H8S 2357 for our company. I
thought the H8S26xx variant HAL would be a good starting point for my port.
I carefully read the source code of the H8S26xx HAL port, wich is a variant
of the H8300 architecture. Now I'm not sure whether the H8S series is really
a variant of the H8300 architecture or if it is a new architecture.

Important things like HAL_SavedRegisters or HAL_THREAD_LOAD_CONTEXT,
HAL_THREAD_SWITCH_CONTEXT are implement within the H8S variant (and not in
architecture HAL like stated in porting guide) because it differs in
register- and stack-structure from the H8300. And there are some more
differences between the H8300 and the H8S series.

Now I would like to know your opinion - if two processor families differ in
register structure and stack structure like the H8S and H8300, would it be
better to create a new architecture HAL H8S (and then single variants for
the single family members i.e H8S2357, H8S2128, H8S2633...) or would it be
better to ceate the H8S port as a new variant of the H8300 architecture.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards, Uwe