Ethernet hardware driver development questions

I'd like to add platform specific MAC address specification to the Ethernet
driver for the Samsung S34510x (or as it's called in the eCos distribution,
KS32C5000, the old Samsung name.)  I have a few questions.

1.  Looking at the rest of the eCos drivers, there seems to be a common
naming convention, i.e., "if_xxxxx.c".  When I add the new functionality, I
could rename the source file, and reformat it to the standard eCos
convention.  Any thoughts on this?

2.  The docs point to 'cl/cs8900a' as an example.  Many of the other
drivers use similar techniques to set the MAC address.  Is 'cl/cs8900a' the
model to use, or is one of the other drivers a better example?

3.  What was the design rational for the run-time selection of the MAC
address source?  Shouldn't this have been a compile time issue?

4. Since I'm in there anyways, is there any other changes and/or
functionality that need to be made?

Thanks for the info

Michael Checky