Re: Ethernet hardware driver development questions

Michael Checky wrote:
I'd like to add platform specific MAC address specification to the Ethernet
driver for the Samsung S34510x (or as it's called in the eCos distribution,
KS32C5000, the old Samsung name.)  I have a few questions.

1.  Looking at the rest of the eCos drivers, there seems to be a common
naming convention, i.e., "if_xxxxx.c".  When I add the new functionality, I
could rename the source file, and reformat it to the standard eCos
convention.  Any thoughts on this?

No particular need to rename I think (especially since the whole package is named ks32c5000), but there's no problem with reformatting... but if you did it would be good for that to be a separate patch to any "real" changes you make.

2.  The docs point to 'cl/cs8900a' as an example.  Many of the other
drivers use similar techniques to set the MAC address.  Is 'cl/cs8900a' the
model to use, or is one of the other drivers a better example?

It's pretty good.

3.  What was the design rational for the run-time selection of the MAC
address source?  Shouldn't this have been a compile time issue?

It's for people who want to program the same image onto every board without having to worry about glitches in individual rebuilds, and the effort of rebuilds when that would be the only change.

Or if you just mean the fact it isn't controlled by explicit ifdefs, then I'm just speculating but I guess the savings were too small to bother with adding a configuration point.