Re: Serial driver for ARM s3c4510

On Dienstag, 21. Oktober 2003 10:24, Roland Caßebohm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm about to make a port of our new platform call ARM Industrial Module AIM
> which includes the Samsung ARM s3c4510.
>
> For the hal I have used the SNDS hal as base. For now I have just made a
> copy of it and made the needed changes. In future I think about making
> variant based hal, because there are then at least three platforms (SNDS,
> E7T and our) which is mostly the same.
>
> Now I want to write the serial driver for our platform for which I have the
> same problem. I want to use the e7t driver as base. So I can again just
> copy it and rename everything called e7t to aim. Another possibility would
> be call it just s3c4510 and every platform which is s3c4510 based could use
> the driver as it is. The third possibility would be to make it like the
> generic 16x5x driver, which includes an include file for each platform.
> I'm think I would prefer doing it like the latter.
>
> Any suggestions?

Additionally the AIM platform includes a 16550 UART, so this serial interface
should be implemented as /dev/ser2 also.
Is it possible and useful to make a generic s3c4510 serial driver, use the
generic 16x5x driver but make only one package (devs/serial/arm/aim) which
includes this two drivers. Or is it better to make two packages like
devs/serial/arm/aim_s3c4510 and devs/serial/arm/aim_16x5x?

Roland

VS Vision Systems GmbH, Industrial Image Processing
Dipl.-Ing. Roland Caßebohm
Aspelohe 27A, D-22848 Norderstedt, Germany
http://www.visionsystems.de