Re: Porting question

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:42:51AM -0600, Gary Parnes wrote:

> Hello, I am starting a porting effort to get eCos running on one of our
> development platform kits:
>
> http://www.logicpd.com/eps/sharp/devkits/sdk/default.php
>
> using a Sharp LH-75401 core:
>
> http://www.sharpsma.com/sma/products/mcu_soc/LH75401_splash.htm
>

> I want to make sure that I'm designing the package(s) properly, so I'm
> looking for a bit of feedback here.  It looks like some of the HAL efforts
> ended up combining the CPU and the board support package into one ball of
> wax (.../hal/arm/ebsa285, for instance).

Out of interest, what do you see in there which you think should be
somewhere else?

  Seeing as how the 75401 has a rich
> set of on-chip features, I get the feeling that, if I really want to do this
> right, I should be breaking things up into a processor layer and a board
> support layer.  For example:
>
> ../hal/arm/sh75401/common/v2_0/... (which would contain headers and generic
> code for the LH-75401)
> ../hal/arm/sh75401/zoomdevkit/v2_0/... (which would contain headers and code
> specific to our Zoom DevKit offering)

I would not put them under the hal. Most of the code should be under
dev.  eg:
uart driver will probably go im dev/serial/sh/lh75401
watchdog driver will probably go in dev/watchdog/sh/lh75401
can driver will probably go in dev/can/sh/lh75401
touch panel driver will probably go in dev/touch/lh75401

You should also look at the other sh2 drivers. Sharp may have reused
there cores so a driver from another Sharp device may work with this
one.

        Andrew