Dynamic SMP

We are in the processes of adding SMP support to the sparc port. We have a running system, but I still have a few questions:

1. Is it really necessary to build the kernel for the exact
   number cpu's? We would like to build the kernel for a
   maximum number, e.g. 4, but run it on systems with 1 - 4
   cpu's without re-compiling.

2. If we would do the modifications to run a dynamic number
   of cpu's, would it be accepted into the eCos distribution?
   Or is it likely that we will break to many things which will
   require all other SMP ports to be modified and re-validated?

Jiri.

Gaisler Research, 1:a Långgatan 19, 413 27 Goteborg, Sweden, +46-317758650
fax: +46-31421407 email: info@gaisler.com, home page: www.gaisler.com