Re: Intention to Port eCos to STR9

C. Adam Lamb wrote:
> Thanks for all the input!
>
> I'll summarize a few things (and correct me if I'm wrong or miss anything):
>

> 1) I should really try to make my port as generic as possible so things that
> apply to all STR parts will be in one file with the parts that appear to be
> specific to the STR912 will be in another file.  I'm not exactly sure at
> this point how this will look (I need to start looking at some HAL code)
> since the STR912 doesn't have an MMU and most of the others do...

Practically you need to make a variant port (STR) and platform port
(your board). then you may also need to make some serial driver which
can be independent from port.
> 2) PEEDI appears to be a good tool with good support.  I was leaning towards
> the JTAG Jet tool from Signum because of the trace capability (I now have
> the OK to buy that one, so I should be able to purchase whatever I want
> now)...  Does anyone see any reasons not to get the Signum tool?  Maybe I
> should just stick with PEEDI since it is proven out and they know what eCos
> is?

PEEDI has Ethernet (TCP/IP) interface so it fits seemlesly (without need
for a driver) with any host OS (Linux, Windows, etc), that is not case
withUSB devices. Also you can remotely connect to it from everywhere in
yiour LAN. Actually by mans of Internet you can connect from everywhere
(dbg, telnet).
> 3) Look into re-using drivers from other ports.

Yes, no need to duplicate code. Chack your onchip pripherals with
"ported" chips. If not same you may find something simillar.
> 4) The closest port to start from will be the ARM Integrator Platform that
> uses the ARM966E-S core since the core is the same as the STR9.  Again,
> their might be drivers from other ports that I can pull in, but the starting
> point will probably be the ARM966E-S port.

I did my 1st port recently and I had same dillema. I choosed the one
with most simillar booting sequence and memory structure. I was looking
for peripheral simillarity too, but unfortunatelly i found no chips with
peripharals simillar to mine.