Re: #! magic for finding Cygwin Tcl shell

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> John Dallaway wrote:
> > Hi Jifl

> >> Yes, it may not be in /usr/bin. I don't mind the cygwin-specific cygpath
> >> bits being dropped, but I'd still want it to be found from the PATH by some
> >> means.
> >
> > Have you ever encountered a Linux system where tclsh is not accessible
> > at /usr/bin/tclsh? Or were you thinking of portability to other
> > operating systems?
>
> Portability (or a linux system where tclsh was not installed by the system
> owner - not everyone's environment is their own desktop). Command line
> stuff needs to work more widely than Linux. tclsh in /usr/local/bin or the
> user's home dir or ...
>
> > I note your (old) post to the Cygwin list which implies that
> > /usr/bin/tclsh is usual for UNIX-like operating systems:
> >
> >   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg00007.html
>
> That was specific to cygwin where they kept renaming the tclsh executable
> for each version.

Hi

Richard Suchenwirth found that sha-bang

#!/usr/bin/env tclsh

also works (starts the first tclsh in PATH) quite nicely on his Linux,
Solaris, and Cygwin installations - so he will use this instead of exec
magic in the future.

http://wiki.tcl.tk/812 ;# [exec magic]

Sergei