RE: Querying Loader from Kernel

On Monday, June 29, 2009 12:00 PM, Eric Bresie wrote:
> Is it possible to query info from the loader (Redboot) from the
> loaded kernel?
>
> I'd like to have Redboot version indicated in syslog or something
> to confirm version details at both loader and kernel level.
>
> With dmesg I see some indication of the mtd partitions but nothing
> else beyond that.
>
> Any ideas?

I'm not sure you can query the info from the kernel but maybe from
userspace.

You can use the fconfig utility to parse the mtd partition that
contains your Redboot config.  Create an alias in Redboot that has
the version information you need.  For example I set a serial number
on each of my boards as:

alias/SNUM: 0x27260017

Then use fconfig to read it:

/ #fconfig -r -d /dev/mtd3 -n alias/SNUM
0x27260017
/ #

Regards,
Hartley