Re: How can I get the Linux Synthetic Target to use DHCP?

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Michael Bergandi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am doing trying to do some testing and development on a network
> application with the synthetic Linux target. I have managed to get the
> network interface working with a static IP, but not with DHCP. DHCP
> eventually just times out. I built the host tools and ecos on Ubuntu
> 10.04.1 LTS.

[snip]

> $ ./hello-net -io -t
> /usr/local/libexec/ecos/devs/eth/synth/ecosynth/current/ethernet.tdf
>
> I eventually get a "BOOTP/DHCP failed on eth0" message.
>
> Can someone help me fill in the missing pieces?

Hi Michael,

If you use an original 'ethernet.tdf' config file

That is

% egrep -v '(#|^\s*$)' $ECOS_REPOSITORY/devs/eth/synth/ecosynth/current/host/ethernet.tdf

synth_device ethernet {
    eth0 ethertap tap3 00:FE:42:63:84:A5
    max_buffer 32
}

Let's notice that *ethertap* tap3 interface is used there.

Have you configured 'tap3' interface? Have you configured DHCP server on
the interface? If you done it, Can you get IP address from DHCP pool on
the interface:

% sudo dhclient3 tap3

There should be no surprise for you that if you want to use DHCP for
synthetic target you have to configure and networking too.

Well, I can guide how to get it working on Ubuntu, but I doubt that this
list is the appropriate place for this.

Sergei