Re: Synth target spawning external processes

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Simon Kallweit wrote:

> Hello
>
> I was wondering if anyone has written some Tcl/Tk code to spawn
> external processes when running the synth target. We currently have a
> few external processes to simulate a GPS receiver among other things.
> These processes are currently started independent of ecossynth and
> need to be up and running when starting the application. This works,
> but it'd be nicer to automatically spawn these processes when the
> application is started, especially when doing so from the debugger. I
> think I'll wrap something up unless there is already a solution out
> there which I can build upon.

Hi Simon,

If I understood you correctly that one (lazy) way is to use ecos target
definition files (.tdf files).  You can put Tcl code there (= what you
need).

My brief test was

  % cat >test.tdf<<EOF
exec notify-send Hello &
exec gksudo &
puts hello
EOF

  % watchdog2 -io -t test.tdf

and it worked as I could expect. I saw/got all things.

Well, it looks like a hack. But, as I said that is one and lazy way to
get the needed things in Tcl/Tk (=quickly).

Also, IMO, the same things can be done through .gdbinit.

HTH
Sergei