Re: Gnutools: consideration for upgrade to GCC 4.6

Le 13/01/2012 18:00, Ilija Kocho a écrit :

Our GCC 4.3.2 is ageing and perhaps we should consider an upgrade.
My motive is it's lacking of support for Cortex-M4 SIMD (aka DSP) and FPU instructions, but I think that other architectures shall gain from newer compiler too. I have made some signal processing tests with GCC 4.6.2 against current eCos compiler and they show performance gain even with Cortex-M3 setting, though moderate. Performance is considerable when Cortex-M4 setting is selected and is tremendous, as expected, when SIMD are used. Recently introduced Cortex-M products with FPU (Kinetis K70, K61, STM32F4) will further emphasise the benefit.

That sounds good! Did you try link time optimization ? I'm curious what kind of gain it could bring with a real world app. eCos seems to fit perfectly for such an optimization, there is no shared lib and at link time everythink is visible to the linker.