Re: eCos port/update for MIPS malta & sead3 platforms

Charles

Thank you for getting in touch.

On 03/12/12 12:49, Chiou, Charles wrote:

> I would like to submit patches to update the support for MIPS platforms on the
> boards Malta and SEAD3.

That's great news.

> Specifically, the patches will:
>
>         - Update outdated drivers for proper hardware support on modern malta
>         - Support the SEAD3 board
>         - Retain compatibility with QEMU's malta emulator

I have experimented with QEMU's Malta emulation and the eCos
malta_mips32_4kc target in the past. I was able to boot RedBoot but
QEMU's PCI support (required for eCos/RedBoot networking) seemed to be
broken. Is this working now?

>         - Support the newest mips-sde-elf-gcc toolchain (Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2012.03-64)

Does your current eCos code continue to build with the eCos
mipsisa32-elf toolchain (GCC 4.3.2)?

> Since we only focused on booting from Yamon and u-boot, we only tested
> RAM configurations. However, if RedBoot support is required, we can work with
> the maintainer to get a clean patch in, too.

It would be good to support RedBoot, certainly we would wish to avoid
breaking the existing RedBoot support for MIPS Malta.

> Please let me know how I can proceed with sending the patch upstream.

The procedure for contributing to eCos (via a Bugzilla report) is
described at:

   http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom-serv/ecos/cache/45.html

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer