Re: FreeBSD TCP/IP stacks update to newer version possible?

On 03/28/2013 05:03 PM, Max Seidenstuecker wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> for a research project our company is aiming to use eCos on the target
> hardware. The major requirement is a working IPv6 implementation and
> TLS/SSL. In eCos there is a FreeBSD-based TCP/IP stack and an OpenSSL
> implementation available.
Why not LwIP? It also has IPv6.
Mark, we are also still using freeBSD, and I still have to evaluate LwIP
against our needs..

> I see so many changes in the KAME project (FreeBSD IPv6 base) that I
> am wondering if the version in eCos is stable enough. Has anyone got a
> summary of the changes between 2001 and 2006 where the project
> concluded? So we can see if an update is needed or worth doing.
>
> What would the tasks be to update an already ported stack? I would
> rate myself as a rookie in the area of network and OS related
> programming. But from what I saw in the code it seems like there is an
> compatibilty layer (eCos wrapper) provided for easy updates to the
> code. Would a copy/paste job and some minor adjustments to the code do
> the trick then?
I think it will be more than that..
I don't know really the Kame project, but it was also for FreeBSD, a PC
network stack. So it must be adapted to embedded use.
Here for example 2 issues that I discovered in the eCos freeBSD port
that you don't see on a PC:
- by default the maximum fragmented packet size is 9kB (instead of 64kB)
- at ARP request timeout, only 1 packet is buffered. So if you are doing
network bandwith testing with UDP messages, you will loose packets every
5 minutes (default ARP timeout)

I was also thinking of doing something like that, but only to add VLAN
tagging support to eCos.
But I can also use our switch chip to add VLAN tags as workaround. So
that task is not so urgent anymore...

I am interested in helping, but I have only limited time.

Kind regards,
Jürgen

--
Jürgen Lambrecht