Embedded PowerPC Differing Families

For the MPC8xx series, the cores are the same with the processors differing
with the number and types of peripherals and I/O associated with the CPM
(Communications Processor Module).

For example, my current design uses the MPC823 (a very cool processor: video
controller, three serial channels, I2C, SPI, quad timers, real-time clock and
microcoded DSP filter blocks) but I've successfully used SW components from
'821 and '860 designs.

I am looking forward to plugging eCos into my board.  I'm curious to see how
it does compared to my current commercial OS.  I don't expect much trouble in
porting it.

Jim Belesiu / Sr. Engineer / Pangea Medical, Inc
Newberg, Oregon USA