ECOS Re: Device drivers

    Zubin> I read in the docs that the format for device drivers is
    Zubin> going to change. Could someone expand on this?

It would be a bit more accurate to say that the existing specification
for device drivers is inadequate. This is because there were still a
number of unknowns at the start of the project, mainly because of the
configurability aspects. Nobody has produced such a highly
configurable RTOS before, and at the start of the project we did not
know all the implications this would have. Device drivers are actually
affected more by this than most other parts of the system.

Now that the system is much more advanced and now that we have a much
better understanding of how configurability works in practice, we can
review some aspects of the system. The first of these is the
specification for device drivers.

The plan is to produce an RFC, publish it on the sourceware web site,
and invite comments from the entire development community. More news
as soon as it becomes available.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer