[ECOS] Re: Board HAL and Device Driver Contributions to eCos

    Stuart> What is the plan for handling third party board HAL and
    Stuart> device driver contributions to eCos ?? In most cases
    Stuart> Cygnus will not have the specific board or I/O device and
    Stuart> hence will not be able to run regression tests on the
    Stuart> board HAL or driver as eCos evolves.

The current plans are roughly as follows. The core distribution of
eCos will only contain processor ports, board ports, and device
drivers which Cygnus has certified. A prerequisite for this is that we
are able to test the core system exhaustively for full releases of the
system, and to a lesser extent for snapshot releases. Such testing
requires that we have the appropriate hardware in our testing farm.

Ports and device drivers which are not certified will still be made
available via our web and ftp sites, but as unsupported packages.
There are actually two categories of such packages: ones which are
completely unsupported, and ones which do have maintainers but not
within Cygnus.

It is possible that some ports will move from the unsupported to the
certified category over time, depending on commercial and technical
issues.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer