Re: [ECOS] Re: Can I use libtarget.a as library for other environment

   Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 19:26:31 GMT
   From: Bart Veer <bartv@cygnus.co.uk>

       oouchi> I use "CodeWarrior for Embedded Systems(Targeting
       oouchi> PowerPC)" by Metrowerks on Windows NT.

       oouchi> I tryed to link libtarget.a made by eCos with other file
       oouchi> in CodeWarrior.

       oouchi> CoreWarrior said there are warning and errors.

       oouchi>  o warnings are following section is unknown and the
       oouchi> section ignored. .stab .stbstr

   [...]

   At a guess, the warnings about .stab and .stbstr probably mean that
   the wrong linker is being invoked. The errors about undefined symbols
   definitely mean that the linker is not being invoked with the correct
   arguments, in particular the generated linker script target.ld is not
   being used. The eCos documentation makes it clear what options need to
   be passed to the linker.

I have a little knowledge in this area that I can pass on - the .stab
and .stabstr sections are for "stabs" debugging info, which is the
current default for GCC targeting PowerPC.  This information is of no
use to the Metrowerks system, so it doesn't matter that it's not
getting passed along, unless you're planning to use GDB for debugging.

However, it does raise a more troubling issue, which is that the
Metrowerks linker is not scriptable, which means that you don't have
very much control over its output, and that the important bits in
target.ld have no way to be represented.  There are other file
sections that cannot be so easily ignored, so even if you got things
to link, it's unlikely to run correctly.  One could probably get the
Metrowerks tools to work eventually, but I suspect it would be quite a
bit of work.

							Stan Shebs
							Cygnus Solutions
							shebs@cygnus.com