Re: Redhat 6.0 patch problems

Trevor Kilgore wrote:
> I downloaded ecosSWtools-arm-990321-src.tar.gz from
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/install-linux.html and have been following
> all the instructions for installing the toolchain on my Red Hat Linux 6.0.
> I have been having problems applying the Redhat 6.0 patch though.  I keep
> getting the following message:
> patching file './tcl/generic/tclPosixStr.c'
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 336.
> Hunk #2 FAILED at 783.
> 2 of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to ./tcl/generic/tclPosixSTR.C.rej
> patching file './expect/exp_strf.c'

Are you sure you downloaded the correct patch, i.e. ecos-arm-rh6.patch? The
best way to save the patch using a web browser is to shift click on the
patch link. That should bring up a dialog box asking you to save the patch
in a file somewhere. Did you do that, or did you cut-and-paste?

I also notice that it is saving the file to "tclPosixSTR.C.rej" rather than
"tclPosixStr.c.rej". Is that just a transcription error on your part? If
not, it  could indicate the patch is not correct.

> I have re-installed Linux many times and have gone through this process over
> and over again with no luck.  Actually, earlier I was getting a different
> message.  It kept on telling my that the patch suddenly ended in the middle
> of a command or something like that.  Regardless, I still was not able to
> build the tools.  For some reason the directories (or tools) were not being
> built under /usr/cygnus/ecosSWtools-arm-990321.

Can you give some more detailed information? How far did you get? Was there
an error message? Admittedly if the patch didn't apply correctly then that
would indeed be a good reason for the build failing :-/.

> I am relative new to Linux/Unix but I checked all .bash_profile's and found
> no . in the path.  I am also quite sure that there are no Windows CRLF line
> endings in the patch.  As I said, I have followed the instructions on the
> Web site many times.  One possible factor, (although I doubt it) is that
> there is relatively little space on my Hard drive, a little over 350M after
> ecosSWtools-arm-990321-src.tar.gz is unzipped.  That should be enough
> shouldn't it?

Patching the files should only need a few K :-).

Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...
 my brains kept falling out."    || http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos
Help fight spam! http://spam.abuse.net/  These opinions are all my own fault