Re: ecos-SWtools

    <snip>
    >> Any version of Tcl >= 8.0.3 should be fine. The simplest way to
    >> proceed is to delete the tcl, tk, expect and dejagnu subdirectories
    >> from an ecosSWtools source tree and then re-run configure. Please let
    >> me know how you get on.
    <snip>

    Michael> Thanks for your help, but i do not think that deleting
    Michael> subdirectories from the ecosSWtools source directory
    Michael> would do fine. I tried this and got error messages from
    Michael> configure about missing subdirectories and so on.
    Michael> Therefore i think you better delete the tools you do not
    Michael> want to build from either the Makefile or even better
    Michael> from the configure.in file (host_libs and host_tools
    Michael> section). Therefore my question, if you have to take into
    Michael> account any dependencies, as for example do some of the
    Michael> target tools need some of the host tools or host libs
    Michael> already built?

I have just taken the ecosSWtools-990319-src.tar.bz2 package, removed
the tcl, tk, expect and dejagnu subdirectories, and did a configure
and make for an mn10300 target. This completed without problems, and
there was no need to change the configure.in file.

For other directories things are not so clear-cut. For example
libiberty will be needed by just about everything, so deleting that
subdirectory would be a bad idea. For something like texinfo, a
typical Linux installation will already have a full installation of
this. I suspect that it is perfectly safe to delete the texinfo
subdirectory before running configure but I could be wrong. Systems
other than Linux are less likely to have texinfo already installed, so
we have to provide it as part of the overall toolchain. The actual
dependencies between the various components are complicated and
subject to change. Short of a detailed examination or actually trying
a build, there is no easy way of knowing what can and cannot be safely
deleted - the list I gave in my previous message is a best guess.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer