Re: Re: Ecos Port to PPC509/PPC555

Sergei Organov wrote:

> Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk> writes:
>
> > [...]
> > Certainly one problem with doing this for (e.g.) libm is that sometimes
> > functions in there get called from all around the place, e.g.
> > *printf/*scanf. So there's a lot of scope for programmer error if they think
> > a thread doesn't ever need an FP context. Something to bear in mind
> > anyway.
>
> Isn't it better to just fix *printf/*scanf to don't use FP when it is
> not required by input format. Or am I missing something and this is
> just impossible?

I suppose you could separate out the vararg extraction into a separate
function (and make sure that function could never be inlined), but it would
be non-trivial given the "design" of Berkeley printf/scanf from which the
eCos version is derived.

Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...
 my brains kept falling out."    || http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos
Help fight spam! http://spam.abuse.net/  These opinions are all my own fault