Transceiver required for SMC2 on MPC821?

Hi all,

I'm trying to get output from the SMC2 port on my
MBX board (MPC821).

Is it necessary to put a transceiver between the SMC2
pins and the serial cable if you want to talk to an
RS-232 port at the other end?  The SMC2 Tx/Rx, and GND
pins are available at header J1, but I had no
luck wiring them up to a serial port.  Maybe the
821 can't drive the RS-232 voltages?

(This not eCos-specific, but I'm using eCos and there
 seem to be other MBX users around here so I figured
 I'd ask anyway.)

-Jamie

p.s.  Hugo helped get the SMC2 configuration working
a few weeks ago - that much appears to be working.
Thanks, H.