Re: ARM debugger with ICE for ARM target

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 11:27:39PM -0600, Yanbing Yu wrote:

> I am new to eCos, and am evaluating eCos for our new ARM based
> platform.  I downloaded all the necessary tools, compiled the
> libraries and test programs, and ran successfully on my AEB-1
> board through gdb.
>
> Now I am wondering if I can use the ARM debugger with an ICE
> to download and debug eCos programs to the target through
> JTAG port?

I don't know.  You can also build coff format executables using the
Gnu toolchain if that helps.

Gdb does support the RDI protocol used to talk to JTAG interface boxes
for the ARM.  I've used gdb with the ARM Embedded ICE and the EPI
Jeeni.  The latter has an ethernet port, so downloading is way faster.

I've submitted several patches to improve RDI support, so you should
either get GDB 4.18 sources and apply the patches, or you should get
the CVS snapshot of gdb (which I think has my patches merged into it
at this point)..

> Since the executables are ELF files, which ARM
> debugger supports, I should be able to use it instead of GDB.
> But the ARM debugger crashed when I did that.  Why?

Don't know -- I use gdb.

--
Grant Edwards
Principal Engineer