RE: running ecos application directly

The entry point is indicated in the link script (target.ld). This should
point to some kind of reset vector.
In my opinion it is tricky business what you are doing there, 'cause if you
don't get the expected output, where does it go wrong, in your simple
program, somewhere in the kernel or a device driver, is the memory map OK
???

You 'd better put some effort in porting the GDB stub first. Since you want
to port for an mpc860 processor (variant), that shouldn't be that difficult.
In fact, all you have to do is get your memory map right and give stub a
means to talk to the outside world. Have a look at the files for the cogent
board, it isn't that hard.

If you do that you have a much smaller chunk of code to experiment (and a
much smaller area to locate possible errors in) with. As soon as you get the
stub up and running you can expand the system gradually. And as an extra
bonus you have a debugger to track down errors.

Hope his helps,

Regards,
Bob