Re: GDB's stack trace.

Patrick O'Grady wrote:

> Hi, all--
>
> Does anyone out there know what tells GDB that it's at the top of the
> stack during a back-trace?  Whenever I 'bt' a stopped thread, I get
> legtimate stack data followed by a bunch of junk...  somehow GDB gets told
> when the stack ends--anyone know how this is done?  Thanks in advance..
>
> -patrick
> patrick@softprocess.com
If I am not mistaking, GDB decides that it reached the top of the stack
as soon as it sees a "terminating stack record", that is, a stack record
that has no valid (0x0000000) backchain and return address anymore.

Are you sure that the stack is correctly initialised before entering the
new thread ?? I suppose that a terminating stack record must be present
before the call to the thread entry point. This way, the entry will be
seen as the last call on that stack.

Hope this helps,

Bob
 ir. Bob Koninckx
 Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
 Division Production Engineering,     tel.  +32 16 322535
 Machine Design and Automation        fax.  +32 16 322987
 Celestijnenlaan 300B                 bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
 B-3001 Leuven Belgium
 http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma.html