Re: "Hello, world" on AEB without gdb

>Another, hopefully, simple newbie question:
>Can someone point me to an online document or explain
>briefly the steps involved in building a simple single
>thread routine for the AEB that does NOT require gdb
>load and execute.  Am I correct in thinking that it
>involves using objcopy?  I'd like to get the simple
>"Hello, world" routine that is in the 'Getting Started
>with eCos' document to work outside of the debugger.
>Then watch it tell me 'hello'.
>I assume it will involve some or more than the
>following steps:
> - possibly, configure a kernel for non-gdb ARM AEB???
> - compile with some special options
> - link with some other options
> - maybe some sort of translation to ARM object code
> - then a translation to ASCII (UUENCODE)
> - then an interactive session with the AEB booter
>   that would involve loading and then execution
>Or, am I off in "left field"?

Sounds about right. The easy part is configuring, building and
linking. What yuo do is select ROM startup and build the application
as normal.

Then you'll need to convert the executable to binary using something
like this:
 % arm-elf-objcopy --change-addresses=0xFBFF4000 --strip-debug [in] [out]
 % arm-elf-objcopy -O binary [in] [out]

Conversion to ASCII:

 % uuencode [in] [in] | tr '`' ' ' > [out]

Now, I'm not really sure how to continue.  Probably you'll be able to
just download this to the target and jump to the start address from
the AEB monitor (using GO?!?).

Look at the arm/hal/current/misc/PKGConf.mak which goes through all
this and some more in order to make a module which can be stored in
FLASH by the AEB rom loader. You shouldn't need to do the checksum
stuff though, when just running the downloaded program once.

If you get this working, it would be nice if you would extend the
hal/arm/aeb/misc/Notes with details on how it is done.

Thanks,
Jesper