Re: gcc/gdb for mpc860

>>>>> "Crowe," == Crowe, Michael E <michael.e.crowe@lmco.com> writes:

Crowe,> I realize this is not the proper group for this question but I
Crowe,> have had no luck with the people in the gnu.gcc.help
Crowe,> newsgroup, and everyone here seems more knowledgable anyway.
Crowe,> I'm trying to port gcc and gdb (along with binutils and
Crowe,> newlib) to target the MPC860 on a PLX Board.  The board should
Crowe,> not matter (should it??), I beleive that it is solely
Crowe,> processor dependant.  My host is Redhat Linux 6.0 with the gcc
Crowe,> compiler.  SO, has anyone successfully built a cross-compiler
Crowe,> under linux that targets the mpc860.  I am trying to port eCos
Crowe,> to this board, but without a compiler, it's VERY difficult :-)

configure --target=powerpc-eabi

You need to first build and install binutils, gas and ld. Then
configure & build gcc+gdb.

See http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/install-linux.html for more
details. And note that if you have recent sources you may not have to
download the eCosSWtools.

For eCos you don't need newlib. There's a separate libc implementation
for eCos.

And use -mcpu=860 in CFLAGS when building stuff.  The existing eCos
platforms already use this option.

Jesper