Which libgcc?

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:58:10 GMT, Bart Veer wrote:

> You have discovered something called multilibs, which I am afraid is
> one of the more obscure aspects of the compiler.

I immediately knew what I was looking at, as DOS/Windows/OS/2 compilers
have been doing this all along to support different memory models,
presence/absence of threads, static vs. dynamic link, etc. I  just
didn't know what the magic directories meant. In the non-gcc world, the
different libraries have different things concatenated to their names,
instead of having the same name but in different subdirectories.

> Of the list you give, I suspect that "ca" is related to System V.4
> calling conventions; "le" controls endianness; "nof" indicates no
> hardware floating point support; I am not sure about "sol" about
> "lin", probably something to do with Solaris and Linux respectively.

Yeah, I figured much the same. I think I want the one in the top of the
nof tree.

> Fortunately you do not need to know about any of this because the
> compiler will pick up the right version automatically - as long as you
> do not confuse it. The basic rule is that you need to use compatible
> flags when compiling and linking.

I guess my question really amounts to what to put in the -L flag. I
need to tell ld where to look for libgcc.a, and I don't know if I
specify a directory higher up the tree or the specific subdirectory for
the architecture I'm building to.

> There may be some more detailed information about multilibs in the
> compiler documentation, but a quick search did not reveal anything
> obvious. If anybody wants to know more then the gcc mailing list would
> probably be the right forum. Archives are available at:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/

Will do. I'll also try the gnu.gcc.help newsgroup. I'm kinda unsure
where the best place to ask about cross-compilers is, whether there's
more knowledge here on the eCos list or over on the gcc list, as I
expect the gcc list would deal more with native compilers on Unix
systems.

[No need to cc a reply to me; I'm happy reading it on the list.]

Kenneth Porter
Kensington Laboratories, Inc.
mailto:kenneth_porter@kensingtonlabs.com
http://www.kensingtonlabs.com