Re: How to create a new platform?

>>>>> "Grant" == Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> writes:

Grant> I'm currently using the ARM-PID platform to build eCos for
Grant> custom target hardware, but this requires that I modify by hand
Grant> a bunch of files like target.ld, hal_platform_setup.h,
Grant> hal_platform_ints.h, pid_misc.c, hal_diag.c, etc.

Grant> This is a pain, since some of these files sometimes get
Grant> overwritten when I do a "make", and then I have to fix them
Grant> again.

Grant> I've been looking for documentation on how to create a new
Grant> platform so that my customized files don't get blown away by
Grant> the make process.  So far I haven't found anything.  Can
Grant> anybody lend me a clue?

See:

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/docs-1.2.1/ref/ecos-ref/kernel-porting-notes.html

It's crap though (I'm allowed to say that. I wrote it :)... And we
know.  We want to make it better, but there never seems to be enough
time to do stuff like this.

Basically, copy an existing platform directory and make your
adjustments in the new directory. Then edit the top-level files
packages and targets accordingly.

So, clone the pid HAL:

 cd hal/arm
 cp -a pid <platformname>

Edit the files.  Then look in the top-level files and search for
PID. Clone/edit entries appropriately. It should be reasonable obvious
what needs changing.

Jesper