Re: How to create a new platform?

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 05:52:58PM +0100, Jesper Skov wrote:

> Grant> Do you prefer the "declare a pointer and then type-cast a
> Grant> hard-wired constant value" method?
>
> Grant>    const UartType Uart0Ptr = (UartType*) 0x3604000;
>
> This is the method I'm familiar with. But I'm just a dumb kid :)

That seems to be the method used by all of the other device
drivers, so making mine different would just be confusing.

> >> 2) mlt is the master file. You should create new files using the
> >> ConfigTool's memory map editor. It will also generate the .h and
> >> .ldi files for you.
>
> Grant> What is ConfigTool?  Is that something that runs under NT?  I
> Grant> tried editing the mlt file and then re-running the tcl
> Grant> configuration script, but that didn't seem to have any effect.
>
> Yup. Nasty Windows thingie. If you edit by hand, you only have
> to change .h and .ldi. But if you ever want to contribute the
> work back to Red Hat you'll want someone to make the proper
> .mlt file as well.

There are actually two platforms I'm using.  One is a Samsung
eval board, and I'll probably contribute that one.  The other
is custom hardware, and won't be of much use to anybody else.

> The ConfigTool uses .mlt as the savefile, generating .h and
> .ldi files as required. The .mlt file is not used by the target
> code.

So the tcl config script doesn't translage .mlt files into .ldi
and .h files?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com