Re: PowerPC HAL patches.

Jesper,

Thank you. What you did seems to be fine for my target. I didn't try your
patch because I've already moved a little bit further in my development (FPU
support), and it seems to be simpler for me to wait until the changes appear
in anon cvs to merge them semi-automatically.

BTW, I don't think my platform is so special. The MPC50x processors have a pin
that defines whether the vector table after reset is at 0 or at 0xfff00000, so
designers can put ROM at 0 or at 0xfff00000. I mean that unlike other
supported PowerPC families for MPC50x we can't simply assume ROM is at
0xfff0000.

I have nothing to say against your plan for further HAL improvements. It
matches what I'd do myself. Actually I didn't implement it this way only
because I wanted to minimize required changes to the existing
variants/platforms to don't break something by mistake.

The only comment is about MMU support. Maybe we better distinguish between
two situations. The first one is when processor has MMU but we need to
disable it (the case with SIM). The second one is when the processor just
doesn't have MMU (MPC50x). For the latter case all the MMU related calls from
the HAL could be just removed. That's not very important though.

Recently I've also found a few things in the HAL that I don't understand. In
fact for me they seem to be bugs. Here are they:

1. Function 'hal_variant_init()' that is defined in most variants isn't
   actually get called. The bug doesn't show itself only because all these
   routines are currently empty.

2. 'hal_variant_load' macro isn't called in exception/interrupt management
   code while 'hal_variant_store' is. Again currently all of them are just
   empty.

BR,
Sergei.