Creating workers threads dynamically

Hi,

Sorry to be posting this again, but I posted it a while back and got no
answers.

I have a question regarding a thread management, specifically killing itself
or exiting. The documentation states that exiting a thread
just suspend it. Looking at the code, I saw that it suspend the
thread and goes to an infinite loop.

I'd like to create workers threads dynamic as we need them, and
when they have completed their tasks, they should kill themselves.

Question:

How do I do that ?

or more specifically,

is there an alternative "design pattern" for such a problem ?

Rosimildo.