How to test the serial connection with HyperTerminal in NECVRC4373

Hi,

I am working with the NEC MIPS-VR4373 board, after I got the new released
GNUPro toolkit. The first thing bothers me is how to check the serial
connection. As you may know, in the manual, it says that you can use
Hyperterminal to connect the board by serial J1. I tried in Windows NT
platform, unfornately, there is no any prompt appearing! Since the serial is
the critical path to download and debug code, and execpt the short
decsription in "GNUPro Toolkit User's Guide for NEC VR4xxx", I can not find
any other helpful document.

Could any one drop me some suggestion? Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,
-Ling