Re: Problem when make gcc cross compiler for MIPS platform

Ling Su wrote:

> > > I am using cygwinB20, and I didn't update to B20.1. Since I find if I
> just
> > > run the setup.exe provided by cygwin website, it installs in a different
> > > subdirectory architecture. Is it necessary to update to the new version?
> >
> > Yes. You need to be running at least cygwin 1.1. Take care to uninstall
> > your old cygwin b20 installation before installing cygwin 1.1 - upgrades
> > don't always work as expected :-/.
> >

> I update the cygwin to the B20.1 by reinstall it in d:\cygnus(I totally
> remove the B20 version), to my surprise, this time the environment doesn't
> work as I supposed. Even when I begin to confiugre, following error message
> shows,
>
> >> /src/gcc/egcs-20000424/configure
> Configuring for a i686-pc-cygwin host.
> Created "Makefile" in /src/build/gcc
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** The command '/usr/bin/gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
>
> I tried to set "export CC=/usr/bin/gcc", the error message is the same!
> The B20.1 has a totally different directory architecture, I installed it in
> d:\cygnus, and it mounts as follows,
>
> Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> d:\cygnus\bin       /usr/bin            user         binmode
> d:\cygnus\lib       /usr/lib            user         binmode
> d:                  /                   user         textmode
> \                   d:                  user         textmode

That doesn't look right at all. I believe this is a registry problem, but
it's not easy to fix.

Perhaps start right over. Uninstall cygwin again (making sure it is
completely again). Now run regedit from Start->Run. Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions and delete the two entries to
do with Cygwin entirely ("cygwin" and "cygwin.dll setup"). Do this by
selecting each of them in turn and going to Edit->Delete.

Next go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions and do the same.

Now install Cygwin 1.1.1 (or later). I noticed that you said you were
installing cygwin b20.1 - do not install this version. Go to
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin and install cygwin 1.1.1 or later.