Re: Flash Filesystem

Hi Ohlund,

Visit Intel's web at developer.intel.com and go to the Flash pages.

There are a few application notes about flash filing systems, and even two
pretty sophisticated ones.

VSB/VFM (Virtual Small Block / VSB File Manager) uses a hard-disk like block
approach (in fact, VSB alone can be usedto fool an existing operating system
into viewing a Flash  chip as independent sectors).

There is also FDI (Flash Data Integrator), more oriented to closed embedded
systems (really to GSM Phones), in which the chip is used simultaneously to
execute code in place and as a data store. The data structure is less hard-disk
like.

You can even get from Intel the source code for these filing systems, though
integrating them in your project might not be exactly easy as pie, and though I
do not know what restrictions, if any, does Intel place on their usage (I
remember the license used to say usage was free for use on Intel parts).

Good luck,

Nacho de los Ríos