From: jskov@redhat.com [mailto:jskov@redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 6:40 AM
To: amassa@cts.com
Cc: jlarmour@redhat.co.uk; ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Serial Console

>>>>> "amassa@cts" == amassa@cts com <amassa@cts.com> writes:

amassa@cts> Is there a way to communicate from a terminal or GDB to
amassa@cts> the serial code directly.  What I want to do is to be able
amassa@cts> to enter commands from a terminal and have a task running
amassa@cts> on my target get the command and parse it out.

You need to do it from a terminal as GDB does not allow you to send
out data (well, you could use the maintenance command if you really
want to go through GDB).

As for the target side, launch a thread which opens /dev/ser0 or
similar and read in characters. Parse them whichever way you want.

If you want a line-based interface you could use /dev/tty0 instead (I
think).

Jesper