Re: tanh

    Nick> Strange bug when building kernel:
    Nick> -I//D/PROGRA~1/REDHAT~1/eCos/packages/language/c/libm/v1_3_1/src/double/portable-api/
    Nick> -mcpu=arm7tdmi -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
    Nick> -Winline -Wundef -Woverloaded-virtual -g -O2
    Nick> -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-rtti
    Nick> -fno-exceptions -fvtable-gc -finit-priority
    Nick> -Wp,-MD,src/double/portable-api/s_modf.tmp -o
    Nick> src/double/portable-api/language_c_libm_s_modf.o
    Nick> //D/PROGRA~1/REDHAT~1/eCos/packages/language/c/libm/v1_3_1/src/double/portable-api/s_modf.c
    Nick> make[1]: *** No rule to make target
    Nick> `src/double/portable-api/s_tanh.c ', needed by
    Nick> `libtarget.a.stamp'. Stop.

    Nick> In the output pane there's a "no such character" black box
    Nick> between "s_tanh.c" and "'". Cut-and-paste reveals it as a
    Nick> newline character.

    Nick> Tinkering with foo_build/language/c/libm/v1_3_1/makefile, I
    Nick> can make this error go away by adding a space character at
    Nick> the end of the line which defines the COMPILE variable.

    Nick> This looks to me like a bug in make.

Almost certainly some variation of carriage return/linefeed problems.
Make sure that the relevant drives are mounted in text mode, as per
the documentation and the problems section of the FAQ at
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/

You may want to check the ecos-discuss archives at
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/ecos-discuss/ for the last month or
so, looking for any related messages discussing build problems. I
believe the current recommendation is to use cygwin v1.1.2, which is
supposed to solve some of the problems. Also I believe more recent
versions of make are more tolerant of such things, but have not yet
been ported to cygwin.

Unfortunately the underlying problem is that certain operating systems
still need two characters to mark a single end-of-line in text files.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer