Re: GCC and INSIGHT, snapshots

    Jens> Just for the curiosity, when I build the gcc and insight, am
    Jens> I to apply the patches as well IF i have the latest
    Jens> snapshots of the gcc and insight ?

Unfortunately keeping track of the latest snapshots of gcc, binutils,
and gdb would require a lot of effort. Hence the eCos team prefers to
concentrate on the latest official releases of these tools when
possible - that leaves more time for actually working on eCos.

If the patch program detects that a particular patch has already been
applied to the master sources and is now redundant then it will tell
you via a message like:

  Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]

Respond with 'n', you do not want to reverse the patch.

If instead the patch still applies cleanly then it is probably still
necessary for the current snapshot. No guarantees though, the problem
may have been fixed by other changes, or the patch may be incompatible
with recent work on the tool.

If the patch does not apply cleanly then I am afraid you are on your
own. A modified patch may have been applied, or the code may have been
changed because of a different problem. You would have to look at
ChangeLog's etc. to find out what has happened.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer