Re: Porting...

Rafael Rodríguez Velilla wrote:

>   Hello,
>    I'm starting to work with ecos, and I'm going to port it to a chip
> based on an ARM7TDMI, it is called microPP (from microPay Phone)
>    The port is for a custom design that we have developed at Telefónica
> I+D, so it's a very singular platform and I suppose that nobody else
> than me is going to be interested in the port, anyway I would want to
> work with the philosophy of eCos, I want to have an eCos package that
> using something like "ecosconfig new microPP " generates all the
> working-directory adjusted to microPPs requirements. Which is the
> recommended reading for doing this? Is there something written so I can
> know how to change eCos in order to satisfy my needs taking into account
> that I'd want to be able to apply future modifications of eCos directly
> to my new porting?

The component architecture of eCos shouldn't make this too difficult. If
you want to make it more resilient to future changes, it may be worth
starting off with what is in the anonymous CVS repository. There have been
extensive changes recently in all HALs to enhance support for ROM monitors.

There is work in progress to write a porting guide, currently at
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/porting/ but there is much left
to do. Any feedback or, better still, assistance with this would, of
course, be appreciated!

But as always, in a sense, the code is the best documentation :-).

>    Another question. Has anybody worked with an ARM7TDMI with an
> MMU(ARM710 or something  like that)? Does eCos or gcc takes this feature
> into account?

I believe the Cirrus Logic EDB7211 boards use an ARM710C if I remember
right. So that eCos port may be of interest to you.