Re: Embedded ICE programming

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 05:46:57PM -0700, Fabrice Gautier wrote:

> What kind of configuration for eCos and the board are you using?

I'm using a custom board with a Samsung 32C5000 microcontroller.  I use a
pretty standard RAM startup configuration with no gdb stubs, no cygmon, and
no Angel.

> With the same configuration that when i use a gdt stub with serial port, i
> get a Memory Access Error when loading.

With my board I first have to load a small assembly language program into
the processor's 8K internal RAM and run it (using the Jeeni/gdb).  That
program sets up the address decoding logic in the processor's memory
controller and enables the external RAM.  Then I load my eCos application.

In the production environment there is a boot-loader program in ROM that
loads the eCos applicatoin via Ethernet, but for debugging I use the simple
memory setup program and Jeeni.

Does your board have to have it's memory controller configured before you
load the eCos application?  You might be able to configure the board
properly using gdb write commands like "set *0x234567 = 0x12345678". I can't
do that with my processor because the memory controller configuration
register set has to be written using a single STM instruction.  So I wrote a
10 line assembly-language program to do that.

> In Insight the EmbeddedICE target is refered as ARM/Angel, With the command
> line i can connect to JEENI using "target rdi com1"

That's right.

> Does I need to run Angel in order to use JEENI? In this case I'm not sure
> eCos will be very happy with Angel around...

No.  If you run Angel, then gdb talks to it through a serial port.  With the
Jeeni, you don't need any software debugging code on the ARM target.  The
Jeeni (along with the EmbeddedICE JTAG core on the processor) does all of
single-stepping, breakpoints, etc.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com