Re: Ecos on an i386 PC target

Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> writes:

> > Paolo Marini wrote:
> [ building for i386 pc ]
> > Then, I tried the Windows configuration tool for ecos. I noticed, for the
> > PC STUBS template, that the COM1 (serial line 1) is used for both the
> > debugger and the diagnostic output. I returned to linux, regenerated the
> > configuration file, edited it manually by forcing the diagnostics to go
> > on the PC screen. This time the target booted up and the (still
> > impressive !) insight debugger took control of the target, downloaded the
> > executable and run smoothly.
>
> True. This is one of those strange situations where I don't see how this
> worked before! Nick, any ideas?

I am obviously missing something here. Why wouldn't this work? Sending
diagnostics to the debug channel as O packets is the standard
mechanism for nearly all platforms. Or are we talking about emitting
diagnostic messages from the floppy stub program itself?  If this is
the case, where are these coming from? Such messages could very easily
confuse GDB.

--
Nick Garnett, eCos Kernel Architect
Red Hat, Cambridge, UK