Re: HAL_READ_xxx & HAL_WRITE_xxx

Fabrice Gautier <Fabrice_Gautier@sdesigns.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> In the documentation, those function are described as:" These macros support
> the reading/writing of I/O registers".
>
> But, for 386 PC platform, there are other functions used in the HAL:
> pc_outb, pc_inb etc... while the HAL_READ_xxx macros for the PC platform do
> is only read in memory
>
> Is there an inconsistency in the doc, in the code or in my mind ?

This is just an inconsistency in the code. Much of the code for the PC
port was derived from other sources that used the pc_in/out
functions. So these were ported too. There is no code at present that
uses the HAL_* macros, so these have not even been converted to use IO
ports rather than memory mapped IO.

Either these macros need to be converted to use the pc_* functions,
or, better, converted to use inline asm to invoke the appropriate
instructions.

--
Nick Garnett, eCos Kernel Architect
Red Hat, Cambridge, UK