New to eCos environment

Hello All,
I am new to the eCos environment. I have just completed reading the basics of eCos. Now I am planning to port the eCos to a processor (decided by my boss). Now I have following oubts.

1) Is there any restriction on the environment to develop the eCos for the particular processor. Is it ok if I have Windows NT.

2) What are the mandatory tools (minimum set) required to start with? One of my friend told me that I require GCC, binutils, GDB etc etc. I want to know what tools (like GCC, GDB etc etc) without which I can not continue.

3) Is there any local dealer in Bangalore - India from whom I can buy the source files (in the CD format). My boss has the CD but the version is 1.2.1

4) If I start developing with the version 1.2.1, is it compatible with the latest version. (I heard that the latest version is 1.3.1)

5) Is there any material / website for a fresher like me!!!

with best Regards,
D.S.Phani Kumar.
D.S.Phani Kumar
Senior Software Engineer, Wipro Technologies,
26, Sri Chamundi Complex, Madiwala -II, Hosur Road,
Bommannahalli, Bangalore-560 068, India
Tel: 91-80-5722 293/6 Extn: 5367
Fax: 91-80-5722 696 / 5722 073 / 5722 685
E-mail: phani.kumar@wipro.com. URL: http/www.wipro.com