Re: New to eCos environment

     > Hello All,
     > I am new to the eCos environment. I have just completed reading
     > the basics of eCos. Now I am planning to port the eCos to a
     > processor (decided by my boss). Now I have following oubts.

     > 1) Is there any restriction on the environment to develop the eCos for
     > the particular processor. Is it ok if I have Windows NT.

NT can be used as a development environment. From time to time there
may be glitches, e.g. spurious carriage returns in source files after
applying a patch. Very few of the people working on the GNU tools use
NT as a primary development platform. Obviously most of the engineers
within Red Hat will use Red Hat Linux as their primary development
platform.

     > 2) What are the mandatory tools (minimum set) required to start with?
     > One of my friend told me that I require GCC, binutils, GDB etc etc. I
     > want to know what tools (like GCC, GDB etc etc) without which I can not
     > continue.

The required set is gcc, binutils, and gdb. If you look at
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/ and follow the "Downloading and
Installation" link then it will guide you through the process of
building a complete toolchain for each of the supported targets. If
your processor does not correspond to any of the supported
architectures you will need to adapt the instructions accordingly.
Also, the sources for each of the tools will come with an INSTALL file
or similar with extensive instructions.

     > 3) Is there any local dealer in Bangalore - India from whom I can buy
     > the source files (in the CD format). My boss has the CD but the version
     > is 1.2.1

Not that I am aware of. Customers who take out support contracts get
releases on CD directly from us. For everybody else we provide the
current sources on sources.redhat.com, and there are plenty of mirror
sites around the world. Of course there is nothing in the license to
stop people making CD releases of eCos, but I am not aware of anybody
who has done so.

     > 4) If I start developing with the version 1.2.1, is it compatible with
     > the latest version. (I heard that the latest version is 1.3.1)

1.2.1 is rather old these days, 1.3.1 would be a much better starting point.
Apart from anything else there are quite a few more ports, so the
processor you are interested in may be supported already.

     > 5) Is there any material / website for a fresher like me!!!

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/
If you follow the Documentation link you will get full access to the
documentation, including "Getting Started" guides for the different
architectures, a generic "User's Guide", and so on.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer