Re: Similar platforms

Fabrice Gautier <Fabrice_Gautier@sdesigns.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering what is the "good way" to port eCos to a board that is very
> similar to an existing board.
>
> For example if I have a PID board with 4 serial port instead of 2, I don't
> want to duplicate all the PID specific code, how would I package this ?
>
> Or for example in PCs based board I should encounter a lot of differents
> configurations.
>
> Is the better way to modify existing package to support alternatives boards,
> or to have an additional package?

If it is simply a matter of additional hardware support then just
extending the existing HAL with suitable code and configuration
options is probably OK.  However if it requires significant changes to
existing code - more than can be done with a few ifdefs - then a new
platform package is probably the right thing to do.

However, the exact dividing line between trivial and significant
changes is often a matter for individual judgment.

--
Nick Garnett, eCos Kernel Architect
Red Hat, Cambridge, UK