TCP/IP write() buffering question

I'm using the GoAhead web server under eCos and am using a
series of for loops in server-side JavaScript to fill in the
contents of a table.

The problem is that each JavaScript write() causes a write() on
the socket, and the web page data is sent as a large number of
Ethernet packets containing a small number of bytes of data
each: 50+ packets for a total of about 1500 bytes. This is
really killing the performance and results in a load time of 2
seconds for a page that's less than 2K of HTML.

Is there a way to get the stack to do more buffering of write()
data so that the page goes out as fewer packets?

I can re-write the JavaScript to do build up each row in the
table as a single string rather than writeing each cell
individually, but a more general solution would be better.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com